The goal of the Insurance Commissioner’s Consumer Services Division is to protect, advocate for and inform consumers of their rights and options when it comes to insurance. Please feel free to contact the Consumer Services Division with general questions you have about insurance or if you have problems or complaints.
WHAT WE CAN DO:
- Forward a copy of your complaint to the insurance company, if appropriate;
- Obtain information or explanations on your behalf from the insurance company or their representatives. This may involve written and verbal contact with such companies or persons;
- Review in detail the information obtained from the company for compliance with statutes, regulations and their own policy contracts;
- In general, explain the language, provisions and coverages of your insurance policy;
- Suggest to you actions or procedures that you may take which could aid in resolving your insurance problem;
- If it is determined that the actions of an insurance company are in violation of a statute, regulation or policy that the Administration enforces, we may take corrective action against that company.
- Assist with filing appeals relating to medical claims
- Assist with open enrollment questions for both fully insured and self-funded policies issued in Delaware. **Marketplace enrollment issues are handled through the Federally Facilitated Marketplace at 1-800-318-2596.
- Inquire as to the appropriateness of Workers’ Compensation rate filings and audits (see “Other Jurisdictions”, below, for Workers Comp claims).
WHAT WE CANNOT DO:
- Assume the role as your legal representative, in or out of court;
- Intervene in a pending lawsuit on your behalf;
- Intervene in matters when an insurance policy (contract) was issued and delivered to the policyholder in another state (outside of Delaware);
- Recommend or suggest doing business with specific insurance agents/brokers or companies
To file a complaint or request assistance with a problem involving an insurance company or agent:
Fill Out a Complaint Form Online
Please Note: If you have already contacted the Delaware Insurance Department concerning this matter DO NOT fill out this form. You may still contact the department by phone or email at the address below.
Call 1-800-282-8611 in Delaware or (302) 674-7310
Stop in to see us for directions
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you file a complaint/inquiry with the Delaware Department of Insurance, you should first contact the insurance company, agent or adjuster in an effort to resolve the issue(s). The department cannot act as your lawyer or give legal advice. If you do not receive a satisfactory response, then complete this form and attach copies of any important papers that relate to your complaint. Request for Assistance may be submitted by fax, email, mail, or telephone.
Automobile Cancellation Issues:
If you have received a notice of cancellation or non-renewal from your automobile insurance company for any reason other than non-payment of premiums, under 18 Del. C §3906 you can file an appeal through the Department using the attached form.
If you or anyone in your family are having problems getting insurance company approval for necessary tests that have been authorized by your doctor, contact the Department of Insurance Hotline at:
1-800-282-8611 (In Delaware Only) Or (302) 674-7310
Or email the Department at email@example.com.